The Legitimacy of Circular Letter in Handling COVID-19 Pandemic Legitimasi Surat Edaran dalam Penanganan Pandemi COVID-19
- Administrative Law
Copyright (c) 2020 Fradhana Putra Disantara
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The purpose of this legal research is to analyze the relevance of the discretion of government officials during the COVID-19 pandemic with the concepts and legislation related to legal issues; as well as analyzing the existence of a Circular to legitimize the handling of COVID-19 with statutory regulations. This legal research is carried out by making an inventory of various primary and secondary legal materials, so as to obtain relevant and critical studies of the legal issues discussed. The results of this legal research are that the discretion made by government officials can be justified legally if it is relevant to several provisions contained in legislation for the realization of good emergency governance; and the existence of a circular letter is legally valid if it is in accordance with the laws and regulations and the General Principles of Good Governance, by understanding that a circular is not a product of rules that are in the order of national legislation. Thus, a circular does not have strong and binding legal legitimacy. Therefore, the researcher recommends the criteria and classification of the parameters of discretion in the form of a circular as outlined in the form of a Supreme Court Regulation. This should be done so that there is no abuse of authority in implementing discretionary power by government officials and general legal principles.
- Cheung EN. Considerations for Closing the Moral and Legal Gap in Public Utility Regulation. J Natl Assoc Adm Law Judic [Internet]. 2020;40(1):60–84. Available from: https://digitalcommons.pepperdine.edu/naalj/vol40/iss1/3
- Berke D. Reworking the Revolution: Treasury Rulemaking & Administrative Law. Michigan J Environ Adm Law. 2020;7(2):353–420.
- HR R. Hukum Administrasi Negara: Edisi Revisi. Jakarta: RajaGrafindo Persada; 2018. 410 p.
- Atmosudirjo SP. Hukum Administrasi Negara. Jakarta: Ghalia Indonesia; 1994.
- Ivanka N. Large-scale Social Restrictions: What’s Next? Indones J Int Clin Leg Educ. 2020;2(2):201–14.
- Takwani CK. Lectures on Administrative Law. III. New Delhi: Eastern Book Co; 2004. 65 p.
- Marzuki PM. Penelitian Hukum: Edisi Revisi. 13th ed. Jakarta: KENCANA; 2017. 270 p.
- Emerson B. The Claims of Official Reason: Administrative Guidance on Social Inclusion. Yale Law J [Internet]. 2019;128(8):2125–216. Available from: https://www.yalelawjournal.org/pdf/Emerson_x1oax9f3.pdf
- Jacobs SB. The Statutory Separation of Powers. Yale Law J [Internet]. 2019;129(8):380–444. Available from: https://www.yalelawjournal.org/pdf/JacobsArticle_gtwkhhne.pdf
- Bastos FB, De Ruijter A. Break or Bend in Case of Emergency?: Rule of Law and State of Emergency in European Public Health Administration. Eur J Risk Regul [Internet]. 2019 Dec 14;10(4):610–34. Available from: https://www.cambridge.org/core/product/identifier/S1867299X19000710/type/journal_article
- Daly P. The Signal and the Noise in Administrative Law. Univ New Brunswick Law J. 2017;68(3):68–86.
- Disantara FP. The Large Scale Social Restrictions Policy For Handling The COVID-19 Pandemic. J Pembaharuan Huk. 2020;7(2):128–41.
- Liddell K, Skopek JM, Palmer S, Martin S, Anderson J, Sagar A. Who Gets the Ventilator? Important Legal Rights in a Pandemic. J Med Ethics [Internet]. 2020 Jul;46(7):421–6. Available from: http://jme.bmj.com/lookup/doi/10.1136/medethics-2020-106332
- Oates JN. A Primer on Emergency Rulemaking. FLA Bar J [Internet]. 2018;92(4):32. Available from: https://www.floridabar.org/the-florida-bar-journal/a-primer-on-emergency-rulemaking/
- Ackerman B. The Emergency Constitution. J Const Law [Internet]. 2020;1(Special Edition):9–63. Available from: https://www.constcourt.ge/files/7/JCL - ENG - VOL 1 (2020) Special Issue/JCL - 2020 Vol.1 Special Edition - Emergency - ENG.pdf
- Mahmoud RF. An Evaluation Of The Judicial Control Of Administrative / Legislative Discretion In Nigeria. Nnamdi Azikiwe Univ J Int Law Jurisprud [Internet]. 2020;11(1):149–60. Available from: https://www.ajol.info/index.php/naujilj/article/view/195200
- Bell J. The Anatomy of Administrative Law. 1st ed. Oxford: Hart Publishing; 2020. 256 p.
- Epstein R. The Dubious Morality of Modern Administrative Law. Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield; 2020. 240 p.
- Massey IP. Administrative Law. Delhi: Eastern Book Company; 2020. 744 p.
- Glicksman RL, Hammond E. The Administrative Law of Regulatory Slop and Strategy. Duke Law J [Internet]. 2019;68:1652–712. Available from: https://www.ssrn.com/abstract=3396610
- Stiglitz EH. The Limits of Judicial Control and the Nondelegation Doctrine. J Law, Econ Organ [Internet]. 2018 Mar 1;34(1):27–53. Available from: https://academic.oup.com/jleo/article/34/1/27/4877009
- Disantara FP. Aspek Imunitas Dalam Penanganan Corona Virus Disease 2019. Istinbath J Huk. 2020;17(1):65–82.
- Bernick ED. Faithful Execution: Where Administrative Law Meets The Constitution. Georgetown Law J [Internet]. 2019;108(1):3–71. Available from: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3485217
- Kumala RDM. Legal Analysis of Government Policy on Large Scale Social Restrictions in Handling Covid-19. Indones J Int Clin Leg Educ. 2020;2(2):181–200.
- Disantara FP, Prasetio DE. Nalar Hagemonik Perppu COVID-19 [Internet]. Gresnews.com. 2020 [cited 2020 Apr 1]. p. 1. Available from: http://www.gresnews.com/berita/opini/117983-nalar-hagemonik-perppu-covid-19/
- Beermann JM. Emanuel Law Outlines for Administrative Law. 5th ed. New York: Wolters Kluwer Law & Business; 2020. 346 p.
- Koven SG. The Case Against Bureaucratic Discretion [Internet]. 1st ed. Cham: Springer International Publishing; 2019. 238 p. Available from: http://link.springer.com/10.1007/978-3-030-05779-4
- Grant JA. REASON AND AUTHORITY IN ADMINISTRATIVE LAW. Camb Law J [Internet]. 2017 Nov 8;76(3):507–36. Available from: https://www.cambridge.org/core/product/identifier/S0008197317000599/type/journal_article
- Disantara FP. The Validity of Rector's Circular Letter on the Covid-19 Pandemic. UNIFIKASI J Ilmu Huk [Internet]. 2020 May 14;7(1):126. Available from: https://journal.uniku.ac.id/index.php/unifikasi/article/view/2765
- Pojanowski JA. Neoclassical Administrative Law. Harv Law Rev [Internet]. 2019;133:852. Available from: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3345342
- Nalle VIW. The Scope of Discretion in Government Administration Law: Constitutional or Unconstitutional? Hasanuddin Law Rev [Internet]. 2018 Apr 7;4(1):1. Available from: http://pasca.unhas.ac.id/ojs/index.php/halrev/article/view/1316